Profile of Sunil Khairnar
Sunil Khairnar is a social entrepreneur based in India and Founder of the Indigram Group of social and business ventures, with a primary focus on the agribusiness and development sector.
Sunil was born to a farming family in Maharashtra (India). After completing his education in agriculture engineering in 1990 and management from Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad in 1993, Sunil worked for seven years with corporate houses such as Godrej and Cargill where he gained experience in domestic and international agri commodity trade.
Given his family and educational background, Sunil was motivated to give up his corporate career in 2000 to work for agricultural development in India. In 2000, he decided to take the plunge and used his life savings to set up Indian Agribusiness Systems Pvt Ltd (Agriwatch), which has developed one of India's largest price-arrival data sets (apart from the Indian government) with its daily data collection for more than commodities from over 250 markets in India; validated through its large network of farmers, traders and agribusiness companies. He then went on to set up ISAP (Indian Society of Agribusiness Professionals) which works for sustainable rural livelihoods across 19 states, and Indian Agribusiness Systems Pvt Ltd (Agriwatch), which has developed one of India's largest price-arrival data sets (apart from the Indian government) with its daily data collection for more than commodities from over 250 markets in India; validated through its large network of farmers, traders and agribusiness companies. He later went on to set up Indian Society of Healthcare Professionals (ISHP) and Indicare among others. He also supported several other social ventures in education, financial literacy and sustainability through early stage funding. Sunil was elected as an Ashoka Fellow in 2002.
Some of the bodies/groups he served included:
* Member of Planning Commission Working Groups for the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-2012) at Agricultural Marketing Infrastructure and Policy required for Internal and External Trade.
* Member of the group on 'Disadvantaged Farmers including Women' in the context of formulation of Twelfth Five Year Plan (2012-17) at the Planning Commission (India).
* Member of Governing Council of the India Development Gateway Group at the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology Government of India.
* Co-opted Member of Technical Advisory Committee on Secondary Agriculture (TACSA) at Planning Commission (India).
* Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal titled 'Review of Market Integration' (ISSN: 0974-9292)
* Member, Advisory Group for the Krishi Darshan programmes connected with farming and Agriculture at Doordarshan.
* Member of Advisory Board of Food & Agriculture Centre of Excellence (ACE) at CII.
* Elected to board of directors of a global association in the USA namely International Food and Agribusiness Management Association for 2010-11.
* Member of committees at ASSOCHAM concerned with Agriculture and Rural Development.
* Board of International Food and Agribusiness Management Association, USA during 2011
He continues to invest in other social projects at an incubation stage.
ISHP Board: http://www.ishpindia.org/ishp-board.php
ISAP Board: http://www.isapindia.org/isap/pages.php?url_key=governing-board
Agriwatch Board: http://www.agriwatch.com/aboutus.php
ICRIS Board: http://www.icris.in/team.php
PanaMax Indigram Board: http://www.panamaxindigram.com/team.php
Indigram Consulting Board: http://indigramconsulting.com/team.php